CrazyFruits
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CrazyFruits

everything under the sun CrazyFruits.forumotion.com

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of FAIR & CLEAR SKIN! on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of CrazyFruits on your social bookmarking website

Latest topics
» Beyonce is the lady in red 1990s to early 2000
Heart Smart doc EmptySun 5 Jun 2022 - 21:03 by frenchy

» Prayer for protection from evil eyes
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 7:03 by YesAdmin

» Fashion Icon Beyonce Appreciation Thread
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 6:44 by frenchy

»  TYSON BECKFORD MODEL FOR BEYONCÉ’S LATEST IVY PARK CAMPAIGN
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 6:28 by frenchy

» Reggae Randy Linstead Market song awesome
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 6:20 by FunSizeKitty

» ONENESS by David Robinson Wow!
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 6:09 by NiceGal

» RASTA MOUSE: Omygod this is awesome
Heart Smart doc EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 5:53 by KerryVery

» Starch Health Benefits
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:36 by MoneyGodess

» The many benefits of using cocoa butter
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:22 by MoneyGodess

» Dream about water and fishes
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:20 by MoneyGodess

» John Sinclair is a dub poet and writer
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:16 by MoneyGodess

» SEXY kerry hilson talks new movie
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:13 by MoneyGodess

» Where is model sedene blake? she is in the middle of this pic
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:08 by MoneyGodess

» How to Use Olive Oil and Sugar to Soften Hands
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:05 by MoneyGodess

» Private school to study Meghan Markle as part of 'white privilege' lessons
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 7:02 by MoneyGodess

» The exotic fruits of Jamaica
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 6:50 by MoneyGodess

» Brief Story of a cowboy legend John Ware
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 6:47 by MoneyGodess

» New poetry book enigmatic rise robotic realm
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 6:37 by MoneyGodess

» Tassel Chrystal Elaine Daley is a writier an advocate for self appreciation
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 6:34 by MoneyGodess

» JUSTINE SKYE HOTTEST PICS ON THE INTERNET
Heart Smart doc EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 6:32 by MoneyGodess

It's Fast Approaching Winter But So Sunny Outside

Thu 15 Nov 2018 - 7:25 by After8mint

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19941549/215]Heart Smart doc …

Comments: 0

For the anxious and depressed people

Thu 15 Nov 2018 - 4:37 by After8mint

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19941549/210]Heart Smart doc …

Comments: 0

US formally tells UN it wants out of Paris climate accord

Sat 5 Aug 2017 - 10:55 by UsainBolt2

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration on …

Comments: 1

Usain Bolt beaten by two Americans in final 100-meter race

Sun 6 Aug 2017 - 3:50 by After8mint

Usain Bolt's farewell party was spoiled by a pair …

Comments: 3

Usain lost his bolt during final hurray nearing his retirement plan

Sun 6 Aug 2017 - 3:45 by After8mint

Comments: 2

Usain Bolt retirement has stalled by two american one was his arch rival gatlin

Sun 6 Aug 2017 - 3:51 by After8mint

Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo dies, Chinese government says

Thu 3 Aug 2017 - 0:02 by BigBossAdmin

BEIJING -- Jailed activist and Nobel Peace …

9-year-old applies for alien-fighting job, NASA responds

Sat 5 Aug 2017 - 10:47 by UsainBolt2

A 9-year-old boy answered a call from NASA to …

Acute migraine drug succeeds in late-stage study

Sat 5 Aug 2017 - 10:51 by UsainBolt2

Eli Lilly and Co said on Friday said its acute …

Top posting users this week
No user

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heart Smart doc

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OH Heart Smart doc Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 20:27

BOBmarleyADMIN

BOBmarleyADMIN
Admin
Admin

Heart Smart doc ClaudineLewisC20130729C
Cardiologist Dr Claudine Lewis
Heart Smart doc Claudinenew20130807JS
Cardiologist Dr Claudine Lewis
Heart Smart doc ClaudinenewB20130807JS
Dr Claudine Lewis, cardiologist, performing an echocardiogram on one of her patients, Delano Christian, at her Heart Smart office in Montego Freeport. - photos by Janet Silvera
Heart Smart doc ClaudinenewC20130807JS
Dr Claudine Lewis (centre) and her receptionist, Daedrene Duffus (left), and practical nurse and cardiac technician Niketa Lloyd.

1 2 3 4 >
Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU:
Cardiologist Dr Claudine Lewis has no problem with being called a 'country girl'. She's proud that she is from the small district of Dumfries in St James.
The word small fits her stature, but that's where the connotation ends.
She is one of 16 cardiologists in a country of 2.6 million people and the only expert trained to care for issues affecting the heart at western Jamaica's largest medical facility - the Cornwall Regional Hospital (CRH).
As early as age three, she was thinking big. "My mother claimed I wanted to become a medical doctor by then and I recall that by primary school I wanted to be a surgeon," she told Flair over a delicious meal of Negro yams, green bananas, and callaloo and salt fish, at Montego Bay's The Pelican restaurant.
Lewis, who did her undergraduate studies at the University of the West Indies, Mona, and postgrad at the University of Toronto, Canada, was one of two Jamaican doctors, from a batch of 10, who returned to Jamaica in 2008 to practise.
"The others are practising in the United States," she said, adding that although they chose to remain there, they continue to be part of a network that assists whenever possible.
Of note is the fact that the recommendation is one cardiologist per 100,000 persons. At 2.6 million people, Jamaica needs to have about 260 to adequately serve its populace.
Job opening
Inspired and influenced by two of her professors - the late Dr Charles Benbow and Edward Chang - to enter the field of cardiology. After studying for 12 years Lewis returned home to be near her family, particularly her mother, while at the same time filling a three-year void that existed at CRH.
"For three years, the hospital had no cardiologist, so when the then SMO (senior medical officer), Greg Thomas made the offer to me, I gave up a fellowship in Canada, because it was always my intention to come back to MoBay," she revealed, noting that she had always wanted to work at Cornwall Regional.
Her earliest experience of the hospital was seeing a close childhood friend with congenital heart defect constantly in and out of the medical facility.
On her return to Jamaica, Lewis was given a 1,200-square-foot area, which was converted and enclosed into a cardiac clinic and diagnostic unit. "There we do non-invasive testing, including echocardiograms, as well as stress testing," she explained.
With heart disease still the number-two killer in the country, Lewis said that of all the admissions to medicine at the hospital, more than half are cardiology related.
The move to build the unit was revolutionary as no other unit of this kind exists in any of the public hospitals in the island. The service is, however, available at the University Hospital of the West Indies.
The same year Lewis opened the cardiology unit at CRH she did a soft opening of her private practice - The Heart Smart Centre - at the Montego Freeport Shopping Centre.
"There was a demand for private cardiology care - even though I was allowed to do a private clinic at Cornwall, the people who could afford it did not want to come to the hospital," she stated.
At Heart Smart Centre, she offers non-invasive cardiology service, 24-hour monitoring, paediatric and adult consultation, pacemaker and defibrillator evaluation, cardiac surgery consultation, paediatric echocardiogram, and a range of other services.
In addition to Lewis, paediatric cardiologist, Dr Charmaine Scott, and heart surgeon Dr Roger Irving, come in every month from Kingston to see patients.
Lewis grew up with an ultra-conservative mother and a disciplinarian father who felt there was no obstacle that would stop his daughter's future.
So, when her mom stopped her from doing the sciences in ninth grade at Mt Alvernia High School, because she felt the realistic career choice was to become a secretary, her father stepped in.
"My mother was very careful in relation to career choices, so when I chose the sciences, such as biology, chemistry and maths, mother came to school and changed them," said Lewis.
Just not practical
Her mom felt it was more practical to do subjects that would help her in a clerical field. "She felt that I could go to Duff's Business College for secretarial studies after high school, because they (mom and dad) just couldn't afford to send me to medical school."
So, instead of French, Lewis did typewriting, and instead of physics, she did accounts. She failed typewriting. However, she got an A in accounts and passed computer studies. There was nothing that would stop her path to medical school, even if she missed out a few years, which she did. "My father insisted that I do the subjects that I wanted to, because he never thought that there was anything that we couldn't do."
She taught herself CXC physics and passed it with a distinction. In those days, that was an absolute prerequisite for medical school.
Today, Lewis has a special interest in managing patients with heart failure, as she finds it very rewarding seeing them return to normal. "I have a lot of patients who do well," she told Flair.
janet.silvera@gleanerjm.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum